Region: South East
Location: Milles Track - Mount Wellington
Where: 15 minutes drive from Hobart
Walk time: 3.25 hours
Walk distance: 10.3km
Difficulty level: Medium
2 July 2016
Recently I've been fascinated about this 'disappearing tarn' that everyone has been talking about!! So today was the day I set out on a quest to find it, mission successful!!
Who would have thought that in the middle of nowhere there is a little pool of blue, not made man but as pure and natural as it gets.
It was a great little walk. The track in areas was quite muddy so made it even more fun.
Great time of year to do it now due to the good rainfall and snow we've had. There would be nothing worse than reaching it to find it all dried up.
HOW TO GET THERE:
- Drive up Mount Wellington and park at the Springs Car Park.
- Cross the road and veer up the road to the left, take the first track on the right sign posted Zig Zag Track/Pinnacle Track - Milles Track/Ice
- Walk up this track for about 15 minutes until you hit Pinnacle Rd then veer to the right for about 10 meters then on the left there is another
sign Zig Zag Track/Pinnacle Track - Milles Track/Ice House Track, take this turn off.
- Follow this all the way to the tarn.
- When you hit the orange markers the tarn is 21 markers from this point on the right. You will come to a small cairn indicating the turn off
to the disappearing tarn. Climb down the rock scree from here (5 minutes) and you will see it.
- You can continue on this track for another 1.5 hours to get to Wellington Falls another magnificent place to visit.
- This walk is best done when there has been rain and or snow otherwise the pool may be dried up with nothing to see.
-Half the track is quite good and the other half rocky.