Region: South East
Location: Mount Misery, Huon Valley
Where: 41 minutes drive from Hobart
Walk time: 3 hours
Walk distance: 5km
Difficulty level: Medium
27 November 2016
It felt great to get back into the bush yesterday - a new day and a new mountain to climb, Mount Misery. It was a good solid 3 hour walk and we made sure to include a side detour down to Hidden Falls which isn't far from the start of the Mount Misery trail.
The side detour was approx 20 minutes return walk from the main trail. Was the detour worth it? Hell no. Even though in Tassie there has been quite a bit of rain lately, the falls were barely there. Maybe Mount Misery was a suitable location for Hidden Falls, misery was experienced when we came to the realisation that we had walked down the steep hill for nothing and now had to walk all the way back up! Apparently Hidden Falls had flowed all year until 2006. I will post a photo of the little story behind it.
Overall the walk was pleasant. It begins through a rain forest, you pass interesting rock formations further up towards the plateau and there are plenty of interesting fungi to be found.
HOW TO GET THERE:
- From Hobart drive down the Southern Outlet towards Huonville.
- Before entering Huonville turn right onto Lollara Road then right onto Agnes St then right onto Browns Road.
- Follow the steep gravel road to the top of the hill until you hit Huon Bush Retreats, drive past reception and down to a sign that will
indicate 'picnic area' – park the car here. The walk starts from this point.
- Expect a few pot holes up to Huon Bush Retreat.
- Take some spare $$ to buy a bottle of the beautiful fresh Lucaston Apple Juice that you will see on a road side stall in the Huon Area.
- There is a BBQ area that you may wish to use at the end of your hike if you've worked up a hunger.
- There is a donation box and walker log book at the start of the track.
- The view from Flat Rock is better than the view from Mount Misery.
- Be careful of the cliff edges when exploring.