Neika to Wellington Falls
Region: South East
Location: Mount Wellington
Where: 10 minutes drive from Hobart
Walk time: 5 hours
Walk distance: 16.5km
Difficulty level: Medium
16 May 2015
Today I did a solo walk within the Mount Wellington area. It was a slightly longer walk today but VERY BEAUTIFUL. I definately have a new favourite walk now!!
The view at the lookout was gob smacking and magical. The photos don't do it justice at all.
The whole walk was filled with smaller falls, spectacular views of the valleys below and in the distance Cathedral Rock.
It's a very popular mountain bike riding track so expect to see a few cyclists, maybe you can get a dink back down to your car if you ask nicely *wink*.
From Hobart city head up towards Fern Tree. When you get to the Fern Tree Tavern continue on for another 5 minute drive until you see a
concrete water tank thing on the left. Park your car here, the track start directly across the road from here.
- The track from Neika leading up to the turn off for Wellington Falls lookout is flat and not steep at all.
- 15 minutes into the walk you will hear the rush of water ahead and shortly after you will come across the first waterfall, there are several
small falls along this first leg of the track.
- The track from the Wellington Falls Lookout to the falls is somewhat steeper and more rocky.
- When you arrive at the falls there is a small track to the left (5 minute walk) to the lookout.
- Take care along the cliff area as it's a good distance down if you fall
- When you arrive at the falls you will see a sign post saying 'Wellington Falls Track - The Springs via Milles Track' if you continue along
here over the rocks and boulders for 2 minutes you can get an even better view of the falls. I got some great footage in this spot; however
in saying this it's very dangerous as it's on the cliff top and the rocks are very slippery, so wouldn't recommend it, I wouldn't want anyone
NEIKA PIPELINE TRACK TO WELLINGTON FALLS:
Neika to begining of the beginning of Wellington Falls Lookout track: 1 hour 40 minutes (one way) - easy
Detour to St Crispins Well: 10 minutes - easy
Wellington Falls track: 40 minutes (one way) - medium
TOTAL APPROX TIME: 5.15 hours return
I really DON'T RECOMMEND wearing lycra pants on this walk lol, even though the sun was out on Mount Wellington, don't let that fool you, it was VERY fresh and I ended up with a frozen butt and thighs!! haha not nice at all, I couldn't wait to get back to my car on the way down so the car seat could would warm my toosh up.