The Lost World
Region: South East
Location: Mount Wellington
Where: 10 minutes drive from Hobart
Walk time: 30 minutes
Walk distance: 2km
Difficulty level: Medium
3 July 2016
It could be quite easy to get lost in the 'Lost World' with its unruly track of overgrown shrubs and boulders, but if you like climbing over rocks and large boulders like I do this short walk is for you!!
The scenery at the end of the track was magnificent and makes this upper and lower body work out worthwhile. You could easily spend an hour exploring around the boulders and if you look hard enough you will find little hidden marvels around each corner and below.
HOW TO GET THERE:
- Drive up Mount Wellington past the Springs. About 2km before hitting the summit there is a large car park in the left called the Big Bend
car park. Park here.
- Walk down the road again for 5 minutes until you are at the big bend and the walk starts here. There is a sign post saying Lost World and
Old Hobartian Track.
- There is a very small 'two car' car park opposite the sign of you don't want to walk the 5 minutes down Pinnacle road.
- The rocks can be quite slippery so watch your step, alternatively you could tie a pillow to your butt to ease the fall but you may end up
looking a little silly.
- Mobile reception, yes (Telstra).
- There are paint markers on rocks and orange arrow markers in trees along the way to help you find your way.